1. Zerzura is governed by the High Council. It consists of two members from each of the Five High Castes (Initiate, Scribe, Builder, Physician, Warrior) and is overseen by the Tatrix of Zerzura. The Grand Vizier takes on all responsibilities and privileges of the Tatrix in her absence. The two chosen Caste representatives, normally consist of the Head of Caste and Assistant Head of Caste. Each of the High Castes have only one vote but two permanent seats at the High Council Table.
2. All matters of Government must be approved of by at least three votes in favour. The Tatrix's vote is applied in cases of a deadlock.
3. In addition there are four other permanent seats at the High Council table however without voting rights. These consist of the High Magistrate, the High Ambassador, Head Merchant and the Head Slaver. They report to the High Council and their advice may be sought.
4. The Tatrix heads the High Council and has the deciding vote. In her absence, the Grand Vizier heads the High Council.
5. The Laws of Zerzura are enforced by the Warrior Caste, in some circumstances, under the guidance and instructions of the Magistrates, Tatrix and Grand Vizier. who will issue arrest warrants.
6. Visiting Ambassadors and any Free Person(s) accompanying them are to be given free passage providing they adhere to the Laws of Zerzura.
Merchant Houses are a private matter and not subject to any rulings as long as they adhere to Merchant Law.
WAR & ALLIANCES
1. Ambassadors may be from any High Caste and are appointed by the High Council through recommendation of their Head of Caste. While Ambassadors answer directly to the High Council they remain under the jurisdiction of their Head of Caste.
2. Diplomatic alliance negotiations will be the responsibility of the appointed Ambassador(s) and sealed by the High Council.
3. Notification of diplomatic,trade, safe passage and alliances will be provided to Magistrates and Warriors to ensure representatives of the Trade City are treated appropriately.
4. Military alliance negotiations are the responsibility of the General or any of his designees. Notification of Military Alliances will be provided to Magistrate and Warriors to ensure representatives Allied City are treated appropriately.
5. Declarations of war only become valid when the General or his designee approach the High Council with evidence of aggression or impending assault to Zerzura. The request must be approved by a majority High Council vote and have the Tatrix's agreement to continue.
6. Safe Passage Agreements of any kind, will be for 31 days (1 RL month) and visiting city's citizens will follow current cities, laws. The agreement will be reviewed within 31 days. Visitors must have some visible marker, or document sealed by a scribe, that they are from an Allied City.
7. Deals between Merchants or Merchant Houses are a private matter and not subject to any rulings as long as they adhere to Merchant Law.
LAW AND JUSTICE
1. The Justice system of Zerzura is made up of the Tatrix, High Magistrate, Magistrates and Merchant Magistrates. To qualify for appointment the High Magistrate, Magistrates must be of the Caste of Scribes in Zerzura and sworn in service and loyalty to the Land of Zerzura. Merchant Magistrates must be of the Caste of Merchants in Zerzura and sworn in service and loyalty to the Land of Zerzura.
2. Magistrates are recommended by the High Magistrate, or should there not be a High Magistrate at that time the Head of Scribes, Tatrix, Grand Vizier or General. They are appointed by a vote of the High Council with at least 3 votes in favour or on a temporary basis by the will of the Tatrix or Grand Vizier between sessions of the High Council. They report directly to the High Council but remain, in matters of their caste under the jurisdiction of the Head of the Caste of Scribes, as they play a dual role as both upholder of Civil law and their duties as a scribe.
3. Merchant Magistrates are appointed by the Merchant Council and uphold Merchant Law as defined in Law. They report directly to the High Magistrate, or should there not be a High Magistrate at that time the Administrator, under the authority of the High Council and Merchant Council but remain, in matters of their caste under the jurisdiction of the Head of Caste Merchants as they play a dual role as both upholder of Merchant Law and their duties as Merchants.
4. Only the High Council can overturn any Civil and Merchant Magistrate's ruling through appeal. And only then through unanimous vote to do so.
5 When Merchant Law applies, the Merchant Magistrate will hear the case and rule. When Civic laws applies Magistrates will hear the case and rule. In mixed situations the Magistrates will confer.
6. Treason & Capital crimes maybe decided on by the Tatrix alone. Should she wish, the matter will be judged on by a High Magistrate.
7. Once a topic or case is ruled upon it can not be brought up a second time.
Investigations and Evidence:
Investigations are conducted either by the Warriors or the Advocates under the authority of the Civil and Merchant Magistrates.
Results of said investigations are to be shared among those authorities as needed.
They will present the evidence to the Magistrates who will make the judgement, this could be in the form of a meeting or a trial, depending on the severity of the crime, unless under the direct instructions of a member of the High Council.
COMMON LAW - ZERZURA
- Treason - defined as: failing to act in the best interest of the Tatrix...her Family and Zerzura.
- Attempted assassination of a Member of the First Family or High Council
- Desecration of the Temple
- Murder of any Citizen of Zerzura.
- Pollution or destruction of any and all water sources in the Zerzura
2. BANISHMENT FROM THE CITY & REDUCTION TO SLAVERY
- Forgery or unauthorized use of the city seal
- Identity theft of a Royal
- Spying for an enemy state
- Sedition - Incitement or discontent or rebellion against the Basiliea
- Theft of a slave
Note: Slaves, private and Harem are classed as property and subject to theft laws (Collars are a sign of ownership, if they are accessed and a slave is controlled by any other than the Tatrix or the City Slaver or the slaves owner, it will be seen as theft)
3. PUBLIC FLOGGING
- Physical assault against a free person.
- Force collaring of any citizen of Zerzura
- Rape of a Free Person
- Lodging a false allegation
- Theft of property (not slaves)
- Damage to property (includes a fine)
- Use of Magic against a person's will
- Breaking court etiquette
4. REDUCTION TO SLAVERY
- Debtor? Assets will be seized as well
- A Free person (male or female) exhibiting slave like behavior in public.
Repeat offenders of lower level violations may have higher-level penalties imposed.
The Tatrix's word is Law. She will decide all civil and criminal disputes and in all cases.
The Tatrix cannot be tried by her own Laws and is above the Law.
The Tatrix can grant a Pardon.
All crimes will be presented to the Tatrix or her Magistrate for trial and the perpetrator will be jailed by the Regiment until their trial.
Any Citizen or Resident may request to the Regiment to make an arrest on their behalf.
Any Citizen or Resident may request an investigation of suspected illegal activity by lodging a Citizen's inquiry with the Grand Vizier.
The lodging of false allegations against a Citizen in good standing is an offense and punishable by law. The lodging of false allegations against a Royal or Vizier is a more serious offense and punishable by law.
When lodging an allegation or making a complaint, evidence will be required.
Those who have the authority to conduct an official investigation are:
Member of High Council
Physician as necessary